IAB Canada conducted a GDPR Privacy Workshop this month to bring members up to speed on the fast-approaching enforcement date of May 25th, 2018.
Yves Schwarzbart, Head of Policy & Regulatory Affairs at IAB UK reviewed the General Data Protection Regulation in detail and provided an update on the progress of the IAB Europe Transparency & Consent Framework. Adam Kardash, Privacy Counsel for IAB Canada, discussed the alignments and gaps between the GDPR and PIPEDA.
Following are some highlights from the discussion:
- IAB Europe has been working to develop a mechanism that allows global access to a consent transfer mechanism and the details were released for commentary in late March 2018
- IAB has received feedback from IAB members all over the world and of course, most of the volume has come from EU countries
- Publishers have provided very specific feedback and IAB Europe taken on several pointed discussions (privately and publicly) on the framework – most of the issues have been addressed.
- Common misconceptions about the program were clarified in the session (i.e. confirmation that the framework does work for programmatic)
Current Status of the Framework
- Policies have been completed and were made public on April 12th
- The terms and conditions for vendors and CMPs have also been completed
- Vendors and are registering quickly – to date (April 20th) there have been over 40 registrations of vendors
- Cost for access to the registry is 350 Euros and for Vendors 1,200 Euros per year
- IAB has multiple cases in the implementation progress and one international publisher endorsement of note is Buzzfeed
- Best practices on the actual consent forms are being experimented with and we will naturally share what we can as volume builds
IAB Canada will continue to update its members and extend workshop invitations from all global IAB markets.