- Print + Web Combine To Drive Success For Tetley Tea
- IAB Canada Announces NEW! "Faces Of IAB Canada" and "Hump Day Bump Of Research Initiatives To Highlight What Works In Digital Marketing
- IAB Canada Announces NEW! Mobile Council, And New Partnership With Mobile Experience Innovation Center (MEIC) And OCAD University
- Canadian Mobile Advertising Revenue For 2009 Grows To $31.9 Million, 169% Over 2008 Totals
- IAB Canada Releases New Pay-For-Performance Ad Campaign Guidelines
- 2010 Canadian Online Advertising Revenue Grows To $2.23 Billion, Surpassing Daily Newspaper
- Canada’s Advertising Industry Releases Self-Regulation Framework For Online Behavioural Advertising That Ensures Transparency, Education, Choice And Accountability For Consumers
- Mobile Advertising Revenues In Canada Grow 93% Over 2009 Totals, To $52 Million In 2010
- IAB Canada Announces New Case-Study Partnership With The Nature Conservancy Of Canada (NCC)
- New Report From BrightRoll And IAB Canada Shows Agencies Expect Largest Change In Media Spend In 2011 To Come From Increases In Online + Mobile Video Advertising
- IAB CANADA Launches NEW! Online, Mobile + Tablet Ad Standards And Creative Specs For 2012, And Announces Unique Partnership With ADOPS Garage On FREE! Ad-Checking Tool
- “Bad Companies Can’t Hide Behind Good Ads Anymore” Says “Naked Brand” Filmmaker Jeff Rosenblum, Lead-Off Keynote At Upcoming MIXX Canada Conference On March 27, 2012
- IAB Canada Adds 50 New Members, Announces New Chair, Board and Staff, PLUS Sets 2012 Agenda For Industry In Year-End Report
- IAB Canada Releases Detailed Mobile In Canada Report To Accompany IAB US Global Mobile Anthology
- IAB Canada Announces New Real-Time Bidding (RTB) Committee, And Launches RTB Event On May 22, 2012
- IAB Canada Announces New Western Regional Council And New Regional Director, Trevor Carr, CEO, Noise Digital
- IAB Canada President, Paula Gignac, Steps Down After Eight Ground-Breaking Years
- Chris Williams, Former Managing Director, SVP, Media Contacts Canada, Named New IAB Canada President
- BrightRoll and IAB Canada’s Second Annual Video Advertising Report Reveals Digital Video Increasingly Integral Part of Multi-Channel Advertising Campaigns
- Interactive Advertising Revenue Survey of sellers’ 2012 actuals for Online, Mobile and Tablets
- IAB Canada Tops 240 Member-Companies, Announces New Board For 2011
- IAB Canada Announces Online Advertising Revenues Rise to $2.6 Billion in 2011: Estimated to top $2.8 Billion in 2012
- Canadian Mobile Advertising Revenue For 2008 Grows To $11.9 Million, 347% Over 2007 Totals
- 2009 Canadian Online Advertising Revenue Grows To $1.82 Billion; 2010 Budget Set At $2.1 Billion
- IAB Canada Creates NEW! Interactive Advertising Project Brief For Advertisers
- IAB Canada Releases NEW! 2010 Guide To Canadian Colleges + Universities
- IAB Canada Releases NEW! Canadian Interactive Advertising Salary Guide: A Global First!
- IAB Canada Elects Dawna Henderson Of henderson bas kohn As New Board Chair
2010 Canadian Online Advertising Revenue Grows To $2.23 Billion, Surpassing Daily Newspaper
TORONTO, ON. August 2, 2011 - The Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada (IAB) today announced that Canadian Online Advertising Revenues for 2010 exceeded budgeted expectations of $2.1 billion, and grew by 23% to $2.23 billion for 2010. As a result, the Internet has surpassed Daily Newspaper, and is now second only to Television in terms of share of total Canadian media advertising revenue. Online advertising’s 23% increase from 2009 to 2010 also bested all other major media, all but one which experienced only single-digit growth rates during this time.
Of the $2.23 billion, approximately $428 million or 19% of Online ad revenue was received by French Canadian Online Publisher/Ad Network properties, representing year-over-year growth of a similar 22%.
Search advertising continues to lead in terms of share of dollars booked by Online Publishers ($907 million/41%), followed by Display ($688 million/31%) and Classifieds ($587 million/26%). Together, these three advertising vehicles represent 98% of all Online advertising booked in Canada.
NEW!! For the first time, Display ad revenues were broken-out according to Standard Display (e.g. banners), Rich Media, Sponsorship and Direct Response/Lead Generation. Standard Display ads account for almost three quarters of Display in 2010 (74%) and 23% of Total Online ad revenues.
Online Video advertising grew by 85%, from $20 million in 2009 to $37 million in 2010. Publisher-based Email advertising lost ground, declining from $13 million in 2009, to $11 million in 2010; while VideoGaming advertising dropped from $3million to $2 million.
2009 Canadian Online Ad Revenue by Advertiser Category was also tabulated, and was as follows:
- Automotive – 12%;
- Packaged Goods – 11%;
- Financial – 11%;
- Retail – 9%;
- Leisure (Travel, Hotel, Hospitality) – 6%;
- Technology – 5%;
- Telecommunications – 4%
- Entertainment – 4%;
- Media – 4%; and,
- Pharma – 3%; and,
- Other – 31%.
Publishers within IAB Canada’s Annual Revenue Survey have projected that their revenues will continue to grow at an enviable pace, with Online Advertising Revenue in Canada estimated to be $2.6 billion in 2011, or 16% more than the 2010 actuals. This forecast includes a 17% increase to $500 million for French Publishers’ Online advertising revenues.
“Surpassing the $2 billion dollar mark for Online ad revenues and moving into second place in terms of overall ad spend in Canada — is without a doubt — a watershed moment for the Digital community in Canada,” says Paula Gignac, President, IAB Canada. “It’s incredibly fulfilling to see that the years of diligent and determined work by Publishers in developing ever-evolving and engaging content offerings for consumers, while simultaneously demonstrating the unique benefits of marketing within the medium to Advertisers, have culminated in this new level of success. Add to that, the Mobile channel coming into its own (with 2010 Mobile ad revenue numbers to be released by IAB Canada later this month), and the future of Interactive advertising in Canada looks extremely positive!”
About IAB Canada’s 2010-11 Canadian Internet Advertising Revenue Report
The 2010 Canadian Internet Advertising Revenue and the 2011 estimated Canadian Internet Advertising Revenue estimate was reached after a comprehensive Survey of all major Online Publishers in Canada. Revenue data was compiled and analyzed by Ernst & Young LLP.
IAB Canada (www.iabcanada.com), is the national voice and de facto thought leader of the Canadian Digital marketing and advertising industry, and is a not-for-profit association representing Canada’s most well-known and respected Advertisers, Agencies, Media Companies, Mobile and VideoGame Marketers + Developers, Measurement Companies, Service Providers, Educational Institutions and Government Associations operating within the space.