- Print + Web Combine To Drive Success For Tetley Tea
- IAB Canada Announces NEW! "Faces Of IAB Canada" and "Hump Day Bump Of Research Initiatives To Highlight What Works In Digital Marketing
- IAB Canada Announces NEW! Mobile Council, And New Partnership With Mobile Experience Innovation Center (MEIC) And OCAD University
- Canadian Mobile Advertising Revenue For 2009 Grows To $31.9 Million, 169% Over 2008 Totals
- IAB Canada Releases New Pay-For-Performance Ad Campaign Guidelines
- 2010 Canadian Online Advertising Revenue Grows To $2.23 Billion, Surpassing Daily Newspaper
- Canada’s Advertising Industry Releases Self-Regulation Framework For Online Behavioural Advertising That Ensures Transparency, Education, Choice And Accountability For Consumers
- Mobile Advertising Revenues In Canada Grow 93% Over 2009 Totals, To $52 Million In 2010
- IAB Canada Announces New Case-Study Partnership With The Nature Conservancy Of Canada (NCC)
- New Report From BrightRoll And IAB Canada Shows Agencies Expect Largest Change In Media Spend In 2011 To Come From Increases In Online + Mobile Video Advertising
- IAB CANADA Launches NEW! Online, Mobile + Tablet Ad Standards And Creative Specs For 2012, And Announces Unique Partnership With ADOPS Garage On FREE! Ad-Checking Tool
- “Bad Companies Can’t Hide Behind Good Ads Anymore” Says “Naked Brand” Filmmaker Jeff Rosenblum, Lead-Off Keynote At Upcoming MIXX Canada Conference On March 27, 2012
- IAB Canada Adds 50 New Members, Announces New Chair, Board and Staff, PLUS Sets 2012 Agenda For Industry In Year-End Report
- IAB Canada Releases Detailed Mobile In Canada Report To Accompany IAB US Global Mobile Anthology
- IAB Canada Announces New Real-Time Bidding (RTB) Committee, And Launches RTB Event On May 22, 2012
- IAB Canada Announces New Western Regional Council And New Regional Director, Trevor Carr, CEO, Noise Digital
- IAB Canada President, Paula Gignac, Steps Down After Eight Ground-Breaking Years
- Chris Williams, Former Managing Director, SVP, Media Contacts Canada, Named New IAB Canada President
- BrightRoll and IAB Canada’s Second Annual Video Advertising Report Reveals Digital Video Increasingly Integral Part of Multi-Channel Advertising Campaigns
- Interactive Advertising Revenue Survey of sellers’ 2012 actuals for Online, Mobile and Tablets
- IAB Canada Tops 240 Member-Companies, Announces New Board For 2011
- IAB Canada Announces Online Advertising Revenues Rise to $2.6 Billion in 2011: Estimated to top $2.8 Billion in 2012
- Canadian Mobile Advertising Revenue For 2008 Grows To $11.9 Million, 347% Over 2007 Totals
- 2009 Canadian Online Advertising Revenue Grows To $1.82 Billion; 2010 Budget Set At $2.1 Billion
- IAB Canada Creates NEW! Interactive Advertising Project Brief For Advertisers
- IAB Canada Releases NEW! 2010 Guide To Canadian Colleges + Universities
- IAB Canada Releases NEW! Canadian Interactive Advertising Salary Guide: A Global First!
- IAB Canada Elects Dawna Henderson Of henderson bas kohn As New Board Chair
2009 Canadian Online Advertising Revenue Grows To $1.82 Billion; 2010 Budget Set At $2.1 Billion
TORONTO, ON. August 10, 2010 - Despite a year of decreased revenues for all other major media in Canada, the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada (IAB) today announced that Canadian Online Advertising Revenues for 2009 exceeded budgeted expectations of $1.75 billion, and grew by 14% to $1.82 billion for 2009.
Publisher revenue from Online advertising in Canada has increased at double digit rates in all but one of the past 10 years — building from $98 million in 2000 to the $1.82 billion mark reported above – and is rapidly closing in on Daily Newspaper ad revenue.
Online Advertising now represents 13% of the combined $13.8 billion total spent on all channels.
Of the $1.82 billion, approximately $352 million or 19% of Online ad revenue was received by French Canadian Online publishing properties, representing year-over-year growth of 11%.
Search advertising continues to lead in terms of share of dollars booked by Online Publishers ($741 million/41%), followed by Display ($578 million/32%) and Classifieds ($467 million/26%). Together, these three advertising vehicles represent 99% of all of the Online advertising booked in Canada.
Online Video advertising nearly doubled in 2009: growing from $12 million in 2008 to $20 million; while Publisher-based Email advertising lost ground, declining from $18 million in 2008 to just $13 million in 2009.
Advertising within the VideoGaming environment in Canada was also reported for the first time in 2009, and sits at $3 million.
2009 Canadian Online Ad Revenue by Advertiser Category was also tabulated, and was as follows:
- Automotive – 12%;
- Packaged Goods – 10%;
- Financial – 10%;
- Technology – 9%;
- Retail – 7%;
- Telecommunications – 5%;
- Entertainment – 5%;
- Leisure (Travel, Hotel, Hospitality) – 5%
- Media – 4%;
- Pharma/Health – 2%; and,
- Other – 31%.
Publishers within IAB Canada’s Annual Revenue Survey have projected that their revenues will continue to grow at an enviable pace, with Online Advertising Revenue in Canada estimated to be $2.1 billion in 2010, or 15% more than the 2009 actuals. This forecast includes a 14% increase to $400 million for French Publishers’ Online advertising revenues.
“It seems incredible that after passing the $1 billion revenue mark just two years ago – and after the worst recession in history — Internet advertising in Canada is poised to break through to the $2 billion mark in 2010,” says Paula Gignac, President, IAB Canada.
“What’s even more impressive, is that Internet advertising in Canada has grown at a double-digit rate in the face of low, no, or negative growth in other countries. To me, that’s a testament to both the rising importance of the Internet within the total media mix, and the growing expertise in Interactive marketing within the Canadian advertising community. Clearly, the few advertising pioneers of yesterday have now been joined by a mass of companies who have not only made the jump to Interactive, but who are also increasing their investment based on positive brand and direct results from the various channels within.”
About IAB Canada’s 2009-10 Canadian Internet Advertising Revenue Report
The 2009 Canadian Internet Advertising Revenue and the 2010 estimated Canadian Internet Advertising Revenue estimate was reached after a comprehensive Survey of all major Online Publishers in Canada. Revenue data was compiled and analyzed by Ernst & Young LLP.
IAB Canada (www.iabcanada.com), is the national voice and de facto thought leader of the Canadian Digital marketing and advertising industry, and is a not-for-profit association representing Canada’s most well-known and respected Advertisers, Agencies, Media Companies, Mobile and VideoGame Marketers + Developers, Measurement Companies, Service Providers, Educational Institutions and Government Associations operating within the space.